SPRINGFIELD, Mo. (KY3) – According to the National Alliance on Mental Illness, one in five adults suffers from mental illness.
Mental Health America ranks Missouri high for number of mental health problems but low for access to care, and ranks Arkansas lower for prevalence of mental illnesses but higher for access to care.
KY3 wants to keep you and your family safe by providing the right mental health resources and information.
NAMI Southwest Missouri reports the following key findings from 2020:
- The mental health of young people is in decline. However, youth suicide is on the rise.
- The prevalence of mental health in adults is relatively stagnant, but suicidal ideation is increasing.
- The prevalence of substance use disorders has declined among youth and adults, but due to lack of access during the COVID-19 shutdown.
- More Americans have health insurance, but their coverage is not adequate for mental health help.
- There is still an unmet need for mental health treatment among youth and adults.
- Young people are not identified as having a mental illness, which can prevent them from accessing necessary accommodations/treatment.
If you or someone you know needs help, here is a list of local resources:
NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness): https://namiswmo.org/crisis-info/
NAMI: 417-864-3676 or 1-877-535-4357 or text HOME to number 741741
Missouri Suicide Prevention Network: https://www.mospn.org/myths-facts
The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255 or (800) SUICIDE
Missouri Health Foundation: https://mffh.org/our-focus/gun-suicide-prevention/
Ozarks Community Partnership: https://cpozarks.org/programs/help-video-series/
The GLO Center – The LGBTQIA+ Community Center of the Ozarks: https://www.glocenter.org/
National GLBT Helpline: 1-888-843-4564
National GLBT Youth Hotline: 1-888-246-PRIDE
National GLBT Helpline for Seniors: 1-888-234-7243
PFLAG – National LGBTQ+ Resource: https://pflag.org
Below, you can read stories about mental health awareness and what’s happening right now in our community here:
To report a correction or typo, please email [email protected]
Copyright 2022 KY3. All rights reserved.