NEW YORK, December 29, 2021 / PRNewswire / – In a year full of challenges and significant change, the EmblemHealth family of companies concludes 2021 by reflecting on its contributions to improving public health services for the diverse communities it serves.
The EmblemHealth family of companies includes AdvantageCare Physicians, a primary and specialty medical care practice, EmblemHealth Neighborhood Care, a network of client services and community resource centers, ConnectiCare, one of Connecticut major health plans and WellSpark, a digital wellness company.
“EmblemHealth began this year with the goal of investing more in our communities and improving access to care for the many patients, members and neighborhoods we serve.” noted Karen Ignagni, President and CEO of EmblemHealth. “We have achieved these goals and plan to continue to build on this success.”
Highlights of 2021 included:
- At the start of the school year, EmblemHealth partnered with local elected officials, community organizations and government agencies to donate thousands of school bags and school supplies to the children as they returned to class after more than a year of distance education. EmblemHealth has also partnered with community organizations and local leaders to organize a Wellness fairs for a healthier future series throughout New York City. The fairs have provided thousands of residents with better access to healthcare services, including flu and COVID-19 vaccines, health screenings, wellness resources, and fresh, healthy food.
- EmblemHealth Neighborhood Care (EHNC), EmblemHealth’s free community centers, opened three new centers this summer in Queens and on Long island, New York. As social distancing practices continued, EHNC also instituted virtual wellness programming and held food giveaways and outdoor fitness classes across New York City.
- To better serve the Medicaid population, EmblemHealth has doubled its partnerships with community organizations. It also continued its strategic collaborations with BrooklynMedly Pharmacy for home Rx delivery services and community vaccinations and with value-based provider Cityblock, which combines comprehensive care with delivery models that address the underlying social determinants of health.
- This year, AdvantageCare Physicians (ACPNY), EmmemHealth’s medical practice, was one of the first to be selected by New York State and the city to deploy and administer COVID-19 vaccines to tens of thousands of people across the state, with a focus on the city’s most vulnerable communities. The practice has also partnered with the United Teachers’ Federation (UFT), one of the country’s largest education unions, to immunize New York City teachers and school staff against COVID-19. Additionally, AdvantageCare Physicians has teamed up with New York Cancer & Blood Specialists (NYCBS), one of the nation’s leading oncology practices, to provide comprehensive cancer care to its patients. ACPNY also opened four new state-of-the-art medical practices to serve Jackson Heights and Rinsing quarters of Queens, ny, and the Long island communities of Bethpage and Uniondale.
- ConnectiCare, a division of EmblemHealth based in Connecticut, celebrated its 40th anniversary by honoring our core mission of giving back to the community. In 2021, ConnectiCare has focused on addressing food insecurity and mental health, two areas of continued need as the state emerges from hardship caused by COVID-19. In addition to providing financial support to organizations working in these areas, company employees have volunteered through Connecticut to help residents alongside notable nonprofits such as CT Food Bank / Food Share, Mental Health CT, and Habitat for Humanity.
- As employers have started planning for their return to work in 2021, WellSpark Health, EmblemHealth’s disease prevention and management company, has provided innovative ways to support employee mental health and the treatment of underlying conditions. As employers, especially those with essential workers, sought solutions to help people cope with burnout and fatigue, WellSpark’s life-scale approach to care was a solution. just in time to usher in employee benefits in a post-pandemic U.S. workforce.
- EmblemHealth [emailÂ protected], formerly known as the Center for Occupational Health and the Environment East New York (OEHC), also launched in 2021 to provide better access to preventive care and worker safety in East New York. The renovated regional health center included redesigned and renovated offices and a new website (healthatwork.emblemhealth.com).
- And to better understand and communicate with patients and communities about their care, EmblemHealth published two pioneering national studies in 2021 regarding the effectiveness of healthcare communications and the industry’s emerging shift towards healthcare. based on value. The first was about the language surrounding COVID-19 which has helped guide conversations about vaccines and vaccine reluctance among diverse populations. The second focused on the importance of educate consumers on the value-based model of care to help reduce the overall cost of care while raising public awareness of the benefits of the model.
“The country has been whipped by the pandemic”, said Ignagni. “Our responsibility as community health plans, doctor’s offices, and wellness business is to provide the best service to the people we serve when and where they need it. This is our mission and our commitment.”
EmblemHealth is one of the nation’s largest nonprofit health insurers, with 3.2 million members and a legacy of 80 years serving that of New York communities. The company offers a full suite of commercial and government-sponsored health plans for employers, individuals and families, as well as convenient community resources. As a market leader in value-based care, EmblemHealth partners with the best doctors and hospitals to provide quality and affordable care. For more information, visit emblemhealth.com.